Wednesday, November 12, 2014

New Abstract Art

Happy Wednesday!  I hope you all are keeping warm with the cold front making its way through the country!  I thought that today I'd share some of my recent abstract work with you all.  I'm still debating which of these I'm going to make prints of, so definitely let me know if there is one that you would like to see as a print.  And, if you are interested, the originals of these are all for sale :)

This first painting was something I made on a whim, I just let the design come to me as I was painting.  I really like how it turned out, and, as one of my awesome Instagram followers pointed out, it has a very underwater, Caribbean feel to it.  She said that the big red circle and the swirls next to it looked like a betta fish to her, which I totally saw once she pointed it out! Fittingly, I decided to name this one "The Tropics."


For this second painting, my inspiration came from thinking about the month of December.  To me, December is a wonderful time of the year filled with holiday joy, time with family and friends, and delicious food.  But it is also a BUSY time of the year!  Despite there being no silvery colors in the painting, I actually had the song, "Silver Bells," in my head while painting this:

"...City sidewalks
Busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's
A feeling of Christmas
Children laughing
People passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every
Street corner you'll hear

Silver Bells, Silver Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them sing
Soon it will be Christmas Day

Strings of street lights
Even stoplights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush home
With their treasures
Hear the snow crunch
See the kids bunch
This is Santa's big scene
And above all

This bustle you'll hear..."

Can you see my holiday inspiration in this piece?  
PS- I also added Rudolph somewhere in the painting, can you find him?


Finally, I was eating way too much peppermint the day I made this last one.  I was also highly caffeinated from splurging and getting a Starbucks peppermint mocha earlier in the day.  So this crazy painting was the result of a sugar and caffeine high!  I do like the fun and sporadic feel to this one, though, and it reminds me a lot of the game "Candy Land" for some reason!

"Sugar High"

Now you know some of the creative process behind these whimsical works!  Thanks for stopping by, and I hope that you enjoyed seeing my latest paintings!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment